Ashwini Deshpande : Research
- The Grammar of Caste: Economic Discrimination in Contemporary India, Oxford University Press, New Delhi, Hardcover, 2011; Paperback 2017
- Affirmative Action in India, Oxford India Short Introductions Series, Oxford University Press, New Delhi, March 2013.
- Boundaries of Clan and Color: Cross-national comparisons of intergroup inequality (edited with William Darity Jr.), Routledge, London, 2003.
- Globalisation and Development: A Handbook of New Perspectives, Oxford University Press, New Delhi, Hardcover 2008; Paperback 2010.
- Capital without Borders: Challenges to Development, Anthem Press, London, Hardcover 2010; Paperback 2012.
- Global Economic Crisis and the Developing World (edited with Keith Nurse), Routledge, London, 2012.
- “Bad Karma or Discrimination? Male-Female Wage Gaps Among Salaried Workers in India”, (with Deepti Goel and Shantanu Khanna), World Development, 102:331-344, 2018.
- Media citation: “Forget the Glass Ceiling, Indian Women Must Worry About the Sticky Floor Instead”, Quartz, March 18, 2016; Scroll, March 21, 2016
- “The Impact of a Computer-based Adult Literacy Program on Literacy and Numeracy: Evidence from India”, (with Alain Desrochers, Christopher Ksoll and Abu S. Shonchoy), World Development, 96:451-473, August 2017.
- “Dominant or Backward? Political Economy of the Demand for Quotas by Jats, Pa- tels and Marathas”, (with Rajesh Ramachandran), Economic and Political Weekly, LII(19):81-92, 13 May 2017
- “Disadvantage and discrimination in self-employment: caste gaps in earnings in Indian small businesses”, (with Smriti Sharma), Small Business Economics: An entrepreneurship journal, 46(2):325-346, February 2016
- “Who is the Identifiable Victim?: Caste and Charitable Giving in Modern India, (with Dean Spears), Economic Development and Cultural Change, 64(2):299-321, January 2016
- The Wall Street Journal, October 24, 2012 Indian Express, January 28, 2016
- “Does Affirmative Action Reduce Productivity? A Case Study of the Indian Railways”, (with Thomas E. Weisskopf), World Development, 64:169-180, December 2014.
- The Hindu, February 5 2015, Two stories – page 1 and page 10.
- The Hindu, February 12, 2015
- The Mint on Sunday, May 31, 2015
- Indian Express, May 13, 2016“Entrepreneurship or Survival? Caste and Gender of Small Business in India”, (with Smriti Sharma), Economic and Political Weekly, XLVIII(28):38-49, July 13, 2013
- The Mint on Sunday, May 31, 2015
- LiveMint, December 2, 2016“Who is Eligible: Should Affirmative Action be Group- or Class-based?”, (with William Darity, Jr. and Thomas E. Weisskopf), American Journal of Economics and Sociology, 70(1):238-268, January 2011.
- “Merit, Mobility and Modernism: Caste Discrimination in Contemporary Indian Labour Markets”, Indian Journal of Labour Economics, 53(3):433-455, July-September, 2010.
- “Where the path leads: the role of caste in post-university employment expectations” (with Katherine Newman), Economic and Political Weekly, XLII(41):4133-4140, Octo- ber 13, 2007.
- “Overlapping identities under liberalization: gender and caste in India”, Economic Development and Cultural Change, 55(4):735-760, July 2007.
- “The Eternal Debate?”, Economic and Political Weekly, 41(24):2444-2446, June 17, 2006.
- “Tale of two cities: Regional Inequality in China on the eve of its entry into WTO”, China Report, 38(4):523-546, 2002.
- “Assets versus autonomy? The changing face of the gender-caste overlap in India, Feminist Economics, 8(2):19-35, 2002.
- “Caste at Birth? Redefining disparity in India”, Review of Development Economics, 5(1):130-144, February 2001.
- “Tracing the divide: Intergroup disparity across countries”, (with William A. Darity, Jr), Eastern Economic Journal, 26(1):75-85, Winter 2000.
- “Recasting Economic Inequality”, Review of Social Economy, 58(3):381-399, October 2000
- “Does Caste still define disparity: A look at inequality in Kerala, India”, American Economic Review, Papers and Proceedings, 90(2):322-325, May 2000.
- “Rethinking strategy for the global debt crisis”, Economic and Political Weekly, 30(21), May 27, 1995.
- “The Strategic role of international credit as an instrument of trade”, with Kaushik Basu, Japanese Economic Review, 46 (4):333-350, December 1995.
- “Structural Adjustment in India: a critical assessment”, with Prabirjit Sarkar, Economic and Political Weekly, XXX (49), December 9, 1995.
- “Role of foreign capital in Chinese Economic Reforms: A survey”, China Report, 32(3):295- 328, 1996.
- “The Debt overhang and the disincentive to invest”, Journal of Development Economics, 52(1):169-187, 1997.
- “Continuing the open door policy: promoting capitalism?”, China Report, 34(1):111- 118, Jan- March 1998.
- “Loan Pushing and triadic relations”, Southern Economic Journal, 65(4):914-926, April 1999
- “Stigma or Red Tape? Roadblocks in the use of Affirmative Action”, in Zoya Hassan, Aziz Huq, Martha C. Nussbaum (editors), The Empire of Disgust: Prejudice, Discrimination and Policy in India and the US, Oxford University Press, New Delhi, forthcoming 2018. (Working paper version: Centre for Development Economics, Working Paper No. 280, October 2017)
- “Foreign Direct Investment and Intergroup disparities in India”, in Ashok Kotwal, Moshe Hirsh and Bharat Ramaswami (editors), The Right to Development: Making it Work in India, University of British Columbia Press, forthcoming 2018
- “Caste Discrimination in Contemporary India”, in Kaushik Basu and Joseph E. Stiglitz (editors) Inequality and Growth: Patterns and Policy, Regions and Regularities, Vol 2, Palgrave Macmillan, UK, 2016, pp. 248-273.
- “From Formal to Substantive Equality”, in Surinder Jodhka and Divya Vaid (editors) Seminar Symposium on “Exclusion, Discrimination and Disparity”, August 2015, No. 672.
- “Deprivation, Caste inequality and the Maoist Conflict in India”, in N.Jayaram (editor), For Satish Saberwal: Essays in Historical and Comparative Studies, Orient Blackswan, 2015.
- “Caste, Class, and Gender: Dynamism or Stasis” in Ashima Goyal (editor), Handbook of the Dynamic Indian Economy, Oxford India Handbook Series, Oxford University Press, New Delhi, 2014, pp. 352-373.
- “Social Justice Through Affirmative Action in India: An Assessment”, in Jeannette Wicks-Lim and Robert Pollin (editors), Capitalism on Trial: Explorations in the Tradition of Thomas Weisskopf, Publisher: Edward Elgar Publishing Inc. (Northampton, MA), 2013.
- “Growth, reforms and inequality: comparing India and China”, (with Lopamudra Banerjee, Yan Ming, Sanjay Ruparelia, Vamsicharan Vakulabharanam, Wei Zhong), in Amiya Bagchi and Anthony D’Costa (editors), Transformation and Development: The Political Economy of Transition in India and China, Delhi: Oxford University Press, 2012.\
- “Do markets discriminate? Some insights from economic theories”, in Sukhadeo Thorat, Aryama, Prashant Negi (editors), Reservations and the private sector: Quest for equal opportunity and growth, Rawat Publications, Delhi, 2005, pp. 59-65.
- “Decomposing Inequality: Significance of caste”, in Bibek Debroy and D. Shyam Babu (editors), The Dalit Question: Reforms and Social Justice, Rajiv Gandhi Institute for Contemporary Studies, Globus Books, New Delhi, 2004, pp. 33 to 52 (Chapter 3).
- “Graded Inequalities: An assessment of affirmative action in India”, in Elaine Dubourdieu (editor), Affirmative Action Policies: a trans-national analysis, Ashgate, 2006.
- “Gender Discrimination at the Workplace: India, China, Bangladesh”, in Bill Kosanovich (editor), Improving labour market opportunities and security for workers in developing countries, ILAB Symposium Papers, Bureau of International Labour Affairs, Washing- ton DC, 2003, pp. 223-267.
- “Casting off servitude: assessing caste and gender disparity in India”, in Kathleen Blee and France Winddance Twine (editors), Feminism and Antiracism: International Struggles for Justice, New York University Press, New York and London, 2001, pp. 328-348.