Sugata Bag :: Vita
Vita PDF version
FIELDS OF CONCENTRATION:
Research: Law and Economics, Development Economics, Contract Theory, Applied Econometrics
Teaching: Mathematical Economics, Economics of Regulation, Contract Theory, Econometrics
- Assistant Professor in Economics, Department of Economics, Delhi School of Economics, Delhi University; since Feb’ 2010.
- Assistant Professor in Economics, Atma Ram Sanatan Dharma College, Delhi University; during July’2005 to Feb’2010.
- Business Analyst in External Acquisition, Risk Information & Banking India, American Express Bank.; 2002 – 03.
- Analyst/Consultant to Planman Consulting, New Delhi; 2004 – 05.
• Journal: (2010). “Whither Contract Damages: Contracts with Bilateral Reliance, One-sided Private Information” published in Journal of Law Economics and Regulation, Vol. 6 N° 6: 47-80, 2010 issue. [Here]
• Journal: (2017 October). “Does It Matter How We Assess Standard of Living? Evidence from Indian Slums Comparing Monetary and Multidimensional Approaches” published in Social Indicator Research, Vol. 2017 (Oct): 1-40. Jointly with Suman Seth. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11205-017-1786-y [Here]
• Book: (2018 January). “Economic Analysis of Contract Law: Incomplete Contract and Asymmetric Information”. London: Palgrave Macmillan. [Here]
• Book Chapter: (2015 August). “On Breach Remedies: Contracting with Bilateral Selfish Investment and Two-Sided Private Information”. In “Themes in Economic Analysis: Theory, policy and measurement”, Edited by Subrata Guha, Rajendra Prasad Kundu, S. Subramanian. Routledge India. [Here]
• Book Chapter: (2016 January). “Regulating Air Pollution in Delhi: All at Fault but None to Blame”. In Nation Building Through Higher Education. New Delhi: New Delhi Publication.
• Popular Article: (2017 August). “Does it matter how we assess living standards in slums?” in Ideas for India [Here]
• (2016 September). “Understanding Standard of Living and Correlates in Slums: An Analysis using Monetary Versus Multidimensional Approaches in Three Indian Cities”. Jointly with Suman Seth. Nopoor working paper series (NOPOOR WP#6 No.49) [PDF Here] and CDE Working paper series (no. 263).
• (2016 February). “A Comparative Study of Living Conditions in Slums of Three Metro Cities in India”. (Jointly with Suman Seth & Anish Gupta). CDE Working paper series (no. 253), and NoPoor Working Paper Series (NOPOOR WP#6_N°84). (PDF here)
• “India’s Growth Story during 1970-2010: Causes to Cheer and to Fear” (jointly with Anish Gupta)
• European Union funded project: NoPoor (with Dr. Suman Seth, OPHI)
Project title: “Exploring the dimensions and dynamics of Indian urban poverty: Multidimensional and Political Aspects” . Project hosted at Centre for Development Economics (CDE), Delhi School of Economics, for the period March 2012 to September 2017.
• Principal Investigator, University of Delhi R&D Grant for faculty 2012-13.
Project title: “Understanding Urban Poverty: A Pilot Survey in Delhi ”.
- CS Canada, Canadian Social Science.
- Agricultural Economics, Journal of International Association of Agricultural Economists
- Social Indicators Research
- Singapore Economic Review
- Instructor, Department of Economics, DSE, 2010 – present
- Courses offered: Mathematical Economics (core), Economics of Regulation (optional); at the Masters level instructor, Delhi University.
- Instructor, Atma Ram Sanatan Dharma College, 2005 – 2010
- Courses taught: Microeconomics, Mathematical Economics, Econometrics, Development Economics; at the Undergraduate level Instructor, Delhi University.
- Research Scholar, Jawaharlal Nehru University, 2003 – 2004
- Recitation leader for Applied Econometrics course (SAS Application course) for the M.Phil. Batches for two semesters.
INTERNATIONAL SEMINAR PRESENTATIONS & WORKSHOPS: (Chronological order)
- Economics Seminar Series, The TERI University, Delhi in August 2016 at Delhi, India
- Annual Meeting of the Nopoor Project, July 2016 at Mexico City, Mexico
- Africa Policy Conference, (Nopoor), in May 2016 at Accra, Ghana
- India Policy Seminar, (Nopoor), in March 2016 at Delhi, India
- Attended OPHI Summer School on Multidimensional Povertyin August 2015 at Georgetown University, Washington D.C., USA.
- CSAE Conference 2014, Centre for the Study of African Economies at the University of Oxford, March 2014, at Oxford, UK.
- 17th Annual Conference of ISNIE (International Society for New Institutional Economics), June 2013, at Florence, Italy.
- Asian Meeting of Econometric Society, December 2012, at Delhi School of Economics.
- Attended Fifth South Asian Training Programme on CGE Modelling, organized by SAWTEE, August 2012 in Kathmandu, Nepal.
- Conference on Economic Theory, Markets and Institutions of Governance, March 2010 at Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi.
- 4th French-German Talk in Law & Economics on December 2009 at University of Trier, Germany.
- SET’2008 (Singapore Economic Theory), August 2008 at National University of Singapore.
- ESNIE’2008 France (European School of New Institutional Economics), May 2008 at Corsica, France. Awarded with Best Paper.
- Law & Economics Workshop September 2003 at IGIDR, Bombay.
• Ph.D. [2003-2009] – Awarded PhD at the Centre for Economic Studies and Planning of the Jawaharlal Nehru University under the supervision of Prof. Satish K. Jain in 2009. Thesis title – Contract Law: An Economic Analysis of Incomplete Contracts, and the Legal Remedies for Breach of Contract under some Specific Contract.
• Post Graduation [1999-2001] – Received MA-Economics from the Centre for Economic Studies & Planning, JNU.
• Under Graduation [1996-1999] – Received B.Sc. with Honours in Economics from Calcutta University.
- The Indian Econometric Society.
- Centre for Development Economics, Delhi School of Economics
- International Society for New Institutional Economics
Recipient of Best Paper Award in ESNIE 2008 in Corsica, France.
- Econometric Packages : SAS- 9, STATA-12, MATLAB, Mathematica.
- Editing Packages : MS-Office, Openoffice, TEX, Scientific Workplace
- Data Handling : MS-Access, CS-Pro, Mainframe.
- Operating System : MS-Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux, MAC.