DR. SUGATA BAG
Associate Professor, Department of Economics,
Delhi School of Economics, University of Delhi, Delhi – 110007, INDIA.
TEL: (+91) 011-2700 8115 (direct). Fax: (+ 91)-11-27667159. EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
FIELDS OF CONCENTRATION:
Research: Development Economics, Law & Regulatory Economics, Labour Economics
Teaching: Mathematical Economics, Regulation, Econometrics
POSITIONS HELD: (Chronological Order)
- Associate Professor in Economics, Department of Economics, Delhi School of Economics, Delhi University; Since 2020.
- Assistant Professor in Economics, Department of Economics, Delhi School of Economics, Delhi University; 2010-20.
- Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR) Visiting Chair at the Centre for Contemporary Indian Studies, University of Colombo, Sri Lanka 2019-20. (Deputation post to ICCR, under Ministry of External Affairs, Govt of India)
- Assistant Professor, Department of Economics, Atma Ram Sanatan Dharma College, Delhi University, July 2005 to February
- Business Analyst, American Express Bank, at India and USA, 2002 –2003.
Ph.D. Centre for Economic Studies and Planning, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi under the supervision of Prof. Satish K.Jain.
[2002 – 2009] Thesis title – Contract Law: An Economic Analysis of Incomplete Contracts, and the Legal Remedies for Breach of Contract under some Specific Contract.
Post-Graduation MA-Economics from the Centre for Economic Studies & Planning, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi.
[1999 – 2001]
Under-Graduation B.Sc. (Honours) in Economics (with Statistics, Mathematics) from University of Calcutta.
[1996 – 1999]
- Instructor, Department of Economics, DSE, 2010 – present
- Courses offered: Mathematical Economics (core) at the master’s level; and Economics of Regulation (optional), Law and Economics (optional); at both masters and PhD levels.
- (Major Project) Principal Investigator, European Commission funded project NoPoor, April 2012 – Sept 2017.
Project title: “Exploring the dimensions and dynamics of Indian urban poverty: Multidimensional and Political Aspects”. Hosted at Centre for Development Economics, Delhi School of Economics (with Dr. Suman Seth, Leeds University Business School and OPHI)
- (Minor Project) Principal Investigator, Univ of Delhi R&D Grant for faculty 2012-13.
Project title: “Understanding Urban Poverty: A Pilot Survey in Delhi”.
- Book: Bag, Sugata (2018). “Economic Analysis of Contract Law: Incomplete Contract and Asymmetric Information”. London: Palgrave Macmillan. ISBN 978-3-319-65267-2. [Here]
- Journal Article: Bag, S. and Seth, S. (2017). “Does It Matter How We Assess Standard of Living? Evidence from Indian Slums Comparing Monetary and Multidimensional Approaches” published in Social Indicators Research, Vol. 2017 (Oct): 1-40. Jointly with Suman https://doi.org/10.1007/s11205-017-1786-y
- Book Chapter: Bag, Sugata (2020). “Urban Female Labor Force Participation and its Correlates: A Comparative Study of Slum-dwellers and their Urban Counterparts of Three Metro Cities in India”. In Emerald Series: Advances in Gender Research Issue: Advances in women’s empowerment: critical insight from Asia, Africa and Latin Edited by Marta Ochman and Araceli Ortega Diaz. ISBN: 978-1-83982-473- 9 [Pre-print here]
- Monograph: Bag, S. and Gupta, A. (2020). “India’s Growth Perspectives: Prospects and Challenges 1970-2017”. Centre for Contemporary Indian Studies, University of Jointly with Anish Gupta. ISBN 978-955-7687-03-2 [Here]
- Monograph: Bag, S., Seth, S. and Gupta (2019). “Slums and Slumdwellers in Three Metro Cities of India: A Comparative Study of Living Conditions”. Centre for Contemporary Indian Studies, University of Colombo. Jointly with Suman Seth and Anish ISBN 978-955-7687-04-09 [Here]
- Book Chapter: Bag, Sugata (2015). “On Breach Remedies: Contracting with Bilateral Selfish Investment and Two-Sided Private Information”. In ‘Themes in Economic Analysis: Theory, policy and measurement’, Edited by Subrata Guha, Rajendra Prasad Kundu, Subramanian. Routledge India, August 2015. ISBN 9781317410836. [Here]
- Book Chapter: Bag, Sugata (2016). “Regulating Air Pollution in Delhi: All at Fault but None to Blame! ” , CPDHE (DU) Edited, In ‘Nation Building Through Higher Education’, New Delhi Publication,
- Journal Article: Bag, Sugata (2010). “Whither Contract Damages: Contracts with Bilateral Reliance, One-sided Private Information” published in Journal of Law Economics and Regulation, 6 N°. 6: 47-80, 2010 issue.
- Policy Brief: NoPoor Policy brief no. 57: “Standards of living in urban slums: How to measure and map its correlates – Evidence from Indian metro cities” [Here]
- Popular Article: “Does it matter how we assess living standards in slums?” in Ideas for India [Here]
WORKING PAPERS (Selected):
- “Understanding Standard of Living and Correlates in Slums: An Analysis using Monetary Versus Multidimensional Approaches in Three Indian Cities”. Jointly with Suman Nopoor working paper series, September 2016.
- “A Comparative Study of Living Conditions in Slums of Three Metro Cities in India”. CDE Working paper series (no. 253), February 2016. Jointly with Suman Seth & Anish http://www.cdedse.org/pdf/work253.pdf
WORK IN PROGRESS
- Causes of Low Labour Force Participation Among the Married Women of India: Cultural and Structural Factors
- Relative Education and Spousal Say: Female Labour Market Outcome
- Affirmative Action and Multidimensional Poverty: Evidence from Indian Slums
INTERNATIONAL SEMINAR/CONFERENCE PRESENTATIONS
- International Conference on Economics and Development, June 2017 at Colombo, Sri
- 12th Annual Conference on Economic Growth and Development, December 19-21, 2016 at Indian Statistical Institute, New Delhi
- UNU-Merit Conference on World Toilet November 2016. Delhi, India.
- Annual Meeting of the Nopoor Project, July 2016 at Mexico City, Organised by ITSEM, Mexico and NoPoor.
- Africa Policy Conference, (Nopoor), in May 2016 at Accra, Ghana. Organised by Ghana Center for Democratic Development, Accra, Ghana and
- India Policy Seminar, (Nopoor), in March 2016 at Delhi, India. Organised by Centre for Development Economics, Delhi School of Economics; Centre for Social Sciences & Humanities (CSH, CNRS) and NoPoor, EU.
- CSAE Conference 2014, Centre for the Study of African Economies at the University of Oxford, March 2014, at Oxford, UK.
- 17th Annual Conference of ISNIE (International Society for New Institutional Economics), June 2013, at Florence, Italy.
- Asian Meeting of Econometric Society, December 2012, at Delhi School of
- Conference on Economic Theory, Markets and Institutions of Governance, March 2010 at Jawaharlal Nehru University, New
- 7th Annual Conference of the German Law and Economics Association (GLEA) and 4th French-German Talks in Law and Economics” on December 2009 at University of Trier,
- SET’2008 (Singapore Economic Theory Conference), August 2008 at National University of Singapore.
- ESNIE’2008 France (European School of New Institutional Economics), May 2008 at Corsica, Awarded with Best Paper.
- Seminar in Applied Microeconomics – Virtual Assembly & Discussion (http://samvaad.org.in) in May 2020 (Webinar)
- Special lectures at CEPA (Centre for Poverty Analysis), Colombo, Sri Lanka in November and December 2019.
- LQA at Bandaranaike Centre for International Studies, Colombo, Sri Lanka in February 2019
- Keynote Speaker, 5th International Conference on Contemporary Management, University of Jaffna, Sri Lanka in July 2019.
- Economics Seminar, Stephens College, Delhi University in February 2017.
- Special Lecture Series in Economics, School of Liberal Studies, Ambedkar University Delhi in October 2016
- Economics Seminar Series, The TERI University, Delhi in August 2016 at Delhi, India
- CESP Seminars Series, Centre for Economic Studies & Planning, Jawaharlal Nehru University, Delhi in November 2014
- OPHI Summer School on Multidimensional Poverty Analysis 2015, at Georgetown University, Washington DC, USA, from 3-15 August 2015. Organised by Oxford Poverty and Human Development Initiative, Oxford University and Georgetown University, Washington D.C.,
- Fifth South Asian Training Programme on CGE Modelling, August 2012 in Kathmandu, Organized by SAWTEE, Nepal and SANEM, Bangladesh.
- Law & Economics Workshop September 2003 at IGIDR,
- Member, American Economic Association, since 2014
- Member, Econometric Society, since 2012
- Secretary, Centre for Development Economics, 2013-15, 2017-19
- Life Member, The Indian Econometric
- Member, ISNIE, since 2012
- Member, ESNIE, since 2008
- Member, Econometric Society 2012-till date
ACADEMIC RESPONSIBILITES :
- Member, Departmental Research Committee, 2012 – till date
- Member, Departmental Computer Committee, 2011- 2018
- Member, Board of Research Studies, Delhi University, 2012- till date
- Member, Faculty of Social Science, Delhi University, 2012 – till date
- Member, Committee of Courses, BA (H) Economics, 2011- till date
- Member, Committee of Courses, BA Programme, 2011- till date
- Member, Organising Committee, CDE-DSE Winter School 2011
- Member, Organising Committee, Asian Meeting of Econometric Society 2012 Conference
- Convenor, Organising Committee, CDE-DSE-Econometric Society Winter School
- Priyank Mishra (M.Phil. 2012-14): awarded Phil. degree in June 2015.
- Topic: Local Governance and Elite Capture in Rural
- Aditi Singhal (Ph.D. 2012-2019): Awarded PhD degree in September
- Topic: Economic Analysis of Electoral Behaviour and Political Institutions
TEL: (+91) 011-2700 8115 (direct). Fax: (+ 91)-11-27667159. EMAIL: email@example.com
- Agricultural Economics, Journal of International Association of Agricultural Economists
- CS Canada, Canadian Social
- Indian Economic Review
- Progress in Development Studies
- World Development
- Singapore Economic Review
- Social Indicators Research
AWARDS / GRANTS:
- Received ICSSR supported publication grant, May (F. No. 14-43 (T) PRS/2015)
- Recipient of Best Paper Award in ESNIE 2008 in Corsica,
- Econometric Packages : SAS, STATA, MATLAB,
- Editing Packages : MS-Office, Openoffice, TEX, Scientific Workplace
- Data Handling : Python, MS-Access,
- Operating System : MS-Windows, Linux,
REFERENCES: On request